Naomi Osaka, Venus Williams and Simona Halep in China Open round 2

first_img Associated Press BeijingSeptember 29, 2019UPDATED: September 29, 2019 19:14 IST China Open: Naomi Osaka of Japan in action against Jessica Pegula (AP Photo)HIGHLIGHTSNaomi Osaka won 76 percent of first serves and hit 26 winners in her 6-3, 7-6 (5) winVenus Williams defeated Barbora Strycova 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 in two hours and thirty-three minutesSimona Halep also advanced, beating Rebecca Peterson of Sweden 6-1, 6-1 in an hour and 11 minutesNaomi Osaka and Venus Williams both advanced to the second round of the China Open on Sunday.The No. 4-seeded Osaka won 76 percent of first serves and hit 26 winners in her 6-3, 7-6 (5) win over unseeded American Jessica Pegula.”I just felt like this match, I was kind of living in the moment every point. I wasn’t really thinking too much in the future, too much in the past,” said Osaka.The reigning Australian Open champion won the fourth title of her career in Osaka last week. She will next play qualifier Andrea Petkovic of Germany, who beat Jil Teichmann 7-6 (4), 6-3 to advance.Williams defeated Barbora Strycova 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 in two hours and thirty-three minutes to reach the round of 32.The seven-time major winner converted three of four break points and rallied back from 3-5 down in the third set for the win.”My strategy is always basically to dominate. Basically, whoever does that usually wins,” William said.It was a promising start for Williams, who had managed just four wins in her previous six China Open appearances. Williams will face Belinda Bencic of Switzerland next.Wimbledon champion Simona Halep also advanced, beating Rebecca Peterson of Sweden 6-1, 6-1 in just an hour and 11 minutes.Halep was forced to withdraw from Wuhan last week due to a back injury, the same issue that sidelined her at the end of 2018.”I was a little bit down before this tournament because it’s happening again, like last year,” said Halep. “I’m really happy I could win. The way I played makes me happier.”advertisementNo. 3-seeded Elina Svitolina came back from a set down to beat Latvia’s Anastasija Sevastova 6-7 (4), 6-1, 6-2, while American Sloane Stephens beat Magda Linette 7-5, 6-3.Also Read | Daniil Medvedev won hearts with humility and simplicity: PM ModiAlso see:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byNitin Kumar Tags :Follow Naomi OsakaFollow Venus WilliamsFollow Simona HalepFollow China Open Next Naomi Osaka, Venus Williams and Simona Halep in China Open round 2Japan’s two-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka defeated Jessica Pegula, Venus Williams defeated Barbora Strycova and Simona Halep also advanced, beating Rebecca Peterson to reach in second round at the China Open on Sunday.advertisementlast_img read more

Competition Bureau alleges Progressive Waste violated terms of merger approval

by The Canadian Press Posted Sep 11, 2012 2:34 pm MDT Competition Bureau alleges Progressive Waste violated terms of merger approval AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email OTTAWA – The Competition Bureau has laid charges against Progressive Waste Solutions Ltd. and its subsidiary, BFI Canada Inc., alleging breaches of a 2010 agreement that permitted the merger of two commercial waste collection companies.Progressive says the allegations are without merit and it plans to defend itself in the courts.The bureau says its Consent Agreement addressed concerns that the merger would reduce competition among commercial waste collection services in several markets — Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Ottawa and Simcoe County in Ontario.The bureau now alleges that Progressive violated the deal by soliciting and re-acquiring a customer whose contract was divested under the agreement.It also alleges Progressive failed to notify the bureau that the agreement had been breached and provided a false declaration that it was in compliance.The bureau alleges there were multiple breaches between October 2010 and February 2011.“Today’s announcement sends a strong signal to businesses that breaching a Consent Agreement with the Competition Bureau is an extremely serious matter and will not be tolerated,” Melanie Aitken, Commissioner of Competition, said in a statement.“Consent Agreements are an essential tool to preserve competition and protect consumers from potential anti-competitive harm. Companies who violate the terms of such agreements must be held to account.”The bureau said the agreement with IESI-BFC Ltd. and Waste Services Inc. (now known together as Progressive), required the companies to divest commercial waste collection assets, including customer contracts, vehicles, bins and other equipment in the identified markets.In addition, they were prohibited from soliciting or reacquiring divested customers for a period of one year. In the event that the parties became aware of material breaches agreement, they were required to promptly notify the bureau.Chaya Cooperberg, a vice-president at Progressive, said in an email statement that the company is surprised that the bureau is taking the matter to court.“We have at all times acted in good faith and used our best efforts to fully comply with our obligations under the Consent Agreement entered into with the Competition Bureau in 2010. We have substantially complied with the agreement,” Cooperberg said.“Further, we have fully co-operated with the Bureau in its enquiry in this matter.“We strongly believe that the Bureau’s allegations are without merit. We will vigorously defend this matter in the courts.” read more

IOC helps Rio Tinto to post record firstquarter iron ore production

IOC helps Rio Tinto to post record first-quarter iron ore production by Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press Posted Apr 16, 2013 11:57 am MDT MONTREAL – Rio Tinto’s iron ore production hit a record in the first quarter as a result of increased contributions from the Iron Ore Company of Canada and from its Pilbara operations in Australia.The London-based miner also said Tuesday that aluminum production grew six per cent from last year. The change largely reflected resolutions to a lockout at the smelter in Alma, Que. and a power outage at Shawinigan, Que.“Our operations achieved a solid performance in the first quarter, recovering rapidly from the seasonal weather disruptions,” new CEO Sam Walsh said in a news release.However, it said a pit wall slide last week at its Kennecott Utah copper mine will have a significant impact on production this year. Production has been suspended and will likely be 100,000 tonnes less this year than previously anticipated.Walsh said Rio’s two major growth projects in Pilbara and in Mongolia are on track for production this year and are poised to deliver “attractive returns” for shareholders.He added that the company is also making progress in achieving cost reduction targets.Rio Tinto (NYSE:RIO) said global iron ore production was 61.2 million tonnes in the quarter or 48 million tonnes attributable to Rio Tinto. That’s up six per cent from a year ago.Production at the Iron Ore Company of Canada increased 20 per cent to 3.4 million tonnes following the completion of a concentrate expansion project. Rio’s share as owner of 58.7 per cent of the facility was two million tonnes.Jackie Przybylowski of Desjardins Capital Markets said IOC’s output was in line with her expectations of 3.5 million tonnes.Production and sales are typically weak in the first quarter due to seasonal factors such as severe weather.The analyst expects output will increase to 5.1 million tonnes in the second quarter and 5.5 million tonnes thereafter, reaching an annual rate of 23 million tonnes following the second expansion phase.Pilbara produced 30 million tonnes of iron ore, compared with 28.6 million tonnes a year earlier.Rio maintained its guidance to produce 265 million tonnes of ore from its operations in Australia and Canada this year.Production at core aluminum smelters, including those in Canada, increased 14 per cent from last year, while production at Pacific smelters up for sale decreased six per cent.Rio’s share of diamonds processed at the Diavik mine in the Northwest Territories that is co-owned with Dominion Diamond Corp. (TSX:DDC), formerly Harry Winston, increased 21 per cent to 1.2 million carats in the first quarter.Output increased despite a five per cent reduction in ore processed, due to higher grades from the underground mine.Total production of 1.9 million carats was higher than expected, raising the possibility that the outlook for 2013 production could be increased in the second quarter, added John Hughes of Desjardins.Dominion has said previously that it expected six million carats would be produced in 2013. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email read more