Grants to Support Community Gambling Support Projects

first_imgThe Gambling Awareness Foundation of Nova Scotia is seeking applications for $300,000 worth of grants to fund projects to help Nova Scotian adults harmed by gambling. The one-year grants of up to $50,000 will be used to help address the factors that contribute to risk, improve local environments and deliver programming to prevent gambling harms. “There are many dedicated organizations across the province that have a good understanding of what’s happening in their communities and some really interesting ideas about how they can help people who are at risk or who struggle with gambling,” said Health and Wellness Minister Leo Glavine. “We know some people don’t think they are experiencing harm, or are reluctant to reach out to the formal health system. “That’s why we launched the Take 5 awareness campaign last year, and why I am looking forward to seeing new projects that could help even more.” Registered charities, community health boards and non-profit organizations are invited to submit proposals to address unmet needs, fill gaps in service or create awareness surrounding problem gambling. The grant program will be co-ordinated by the Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation. The foundation has more than 15 years of experience in conducting funding competitions and high-calibre peer review services in Nova Scotia. For more information on the grants, visit http://nshrf.ca/gans or contact Leslie Power at 902-424-4193 or [email protected] . A 2013 adult gambling surveillance report found 73 per cent of Nova Scotians aged 19 years and older engaged in one or more gambling activities. This represents a 14.2 per cent decrease in gambling participation since 2007, primarily due to a reduction among low and no-risk participants. It is estimated that 50,000 Nova Scotians are at some risk of harm related to their gambling, and 5,000 could be experiencing severe harm. The 2013 adult gambling information collection report and the 2011 adolescent gambling surveillance report can be found at http://novascotia.ca/dhw/publications.asp. Take 5 is an interactive website with live chat, online forums, and motivational text messages in addition to traditional telephone support. It can be accessed by calling 1-888-347-8888, by texting the word TAKE5 to 1-902-700-7702, or by visiting https://gamblingsupportnetwork.ca/ . Community support is also available across the province. To find help, visit novascotia.ca/dhw/addictions .last_img read more

3 children among others injured in 4vehicle accident at Kastev

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedMother of 3 killed in accident while returning home from Flag Raising CeremonyMay 26, 2016In “latest news”NARROW ESCAPE: Several persons including women, children escape deathFebruary 5, 2017In “latest news”Minibus topples, students among a dozen injured – at Sarah JohannaApril 13, 2016In “Local News” The mangled minibus after the accidentA speeding route 32 minibus is now being blamed for the injuries sustained by three young children, in addition to the damages inflicted on three other motor vehicles, during an accident on Tuesday morning, in the vicinity of Kastev, Meten-Meer-Zorg, West Coast Demerara.The injured children are said to be between the ages of 6 to 8. They were among the occupants in the route 32 minibus- BRR1278- which was heading to Parika, on the East Bank of Essequibo.Based on information received from eyewitnesses at the scene, the four vehicle collision occurred at about 09:00hrs.The minibus driver reportedly lost control of his vehicle after he was allegedly driving above the speed limit- and slammed into a silver Toyota Runx- HC4537- which was on the southern side of the road, attempting to make a U-turn.The vehicle that the minibus slammed intoThis resulted in the hire car colliding with a canter truck- GMM5017- and a parked Toyota Spacio- HC1607- before coming to a halt in a nearby drain.At the scene, the sounds of screams were heard coming from a female within the minibus following the accident.She was later identified as the mother of the three injured siblings, who were seen bleeding profusely from their heads.The injured persons were aided by public spirited persons who rushed them to the Leonora Cottage Hospital, before they were subsequently transferred to the West Demerara Regional Hospital for treatment.Moreover, other persons at the scene were seen making multiple attempts to have the driver of the minibus extracted from the front seat, as his feet appeared to have been crushed with the vehicle’s mangled front.Furthermore, the driver of the silver Runx was reportedly unlicenced when approached by traffic ranks after the accident.Investigations are currently ongoing. read more