Denis Charlet / AFP WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists In an op-ed piece published in the French daily Le Figaro on 12 January, RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire, who also chairs the Forum on Information and Democracy, says social media accounts exceeding certain (direct or indirect) audience thresholds should be subject to procedures and obligations appropriate to their audience and in accordance with general legal principles. Private-sector companies should not be allowed to determine the fate of such accounts on their own, acting without control or transparency. In the wake of Twitter’s decision to shut down President Donald Trump’s accounts for good, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) proposes ways to avoid allowing the tech giants to retain the power to decide whether social media accounts should be closed. to go further United StatesFranceUnited KingdomCanadaAmericasEurope – Central Asia Online freedoms InternetFreedom of expression It was to propose democratic safeguards for the digital arena that RSF launched the information and democracy initiative: After overlooking the fake news and hate speech that Trump posted throughout his four years as US president, Twitter unilaterally decided on 8 January to permanently close his @realDonaldTrump account and then, a few days later, 70,000 other accounts linked to the pro-Trump QAnon movement. Facebook, Instagram and Twitch also suspended the presidential accounts for an unspecified period, while Amazon then suspended the pro-Trump social media Parler. All of these decisions were taken by private-sector companies without any democratic or judicial control. Reports News Concrete proposals Follow the news on Americas Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says January 15, 2021 “We must impose democratic obligations on the leading digital players” June 3, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies In a news and information arena from which intermediaries have been eliminated, politicians, celebrities, corporations, religious groups and other players are currently able to address their public directly without being held accountable to any ethical standards, while the media have continued to operate according to all of their traditional obligations. But now, the suspension of Donald Trump’s social media accounts has spotlighted the crucial issue of the most powerful accounts. United StatesFranceUnited KingdomCanadaAmericasEurope – Central Asia Online freedoms InternetFreedom of expression RSF_en Organisation Help by sharing this information June 7, 2021 Find out more The Commission on Information and Democracy, consisting of 25 prominent persons of 18 nationalities, drafted a Declaration establishing general principles for the global online information and communication space – algorithmic transparency, pluralism, platform ideological neutralism, prohibition of conflicts of interest and promotion of reliable news and information. This Declaration inspired the Partnership on Information and Democracy, which was launched during the UN General Assembly in 2019 and which 38 governments have so far joined. The Forum on Information and Democracy was created in November 2019 by 11 organizations, research centres and think-tanks based in all continents. In November 2020, it published 250 recommendations on platform transparency, content moderation, the promotion of the reliability of information, and messaging apps when their massive use goes beyond the bounds of private correspondence.RSF was also behind the Journalism Trust Initiative (JTI), which is producing a set of machine-readable standards so that search engine algorithms can give preference to media that adhere to journalistic methods and ethics. These standards, which can also be used by advertisers, are the result of a self-regulatory initiative in which entities from all over the world collaborated under the aegis of the European Committee for Standardization (CEN). May 13, 2021 Find out more News “We live in a political dystopia,” RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “The laws of the public arena used to be established by parliaments and enforced by judges, but private-sector corporations are now in charge. Their norms are not defined within a democratic framework with checks and balances, they are not transparent and you cannot appeal to any court before they are carried out. The organization of the online public arena should not be left to market forces or individual interests. We must impose democratic obligations on the leading digital players.” Systemic change In Europe, the Digital Services Act unveiled by European Commissioner Thierry Breton in December aims to regulate content posted on platforms and offers notable advances. Many other legislative initiatives are also under discussion such as the revision of Section 230 in the United States, the Online Harms Bill in the United Kingdom and the Digital Charter in Canada. But, so far, no legislation addresses all of the challenges posed by the digital public arena.
However, his contract with the Rams ran out at the end of last season.“After hard thinking it was time to hang up my boots and look forward to my next chapter,” Cole told Sky Sports.Cole was part of the Arsenal “Invincibles” side that won the Premier League without losing a game in 2003/04.He left the Gunners for a move to West London in an acrimonious circumstances after Arsenal failed to match his wage demands in 2006.Cole went onto win another Premier League title, the Champions League and the Europa League in an eight-year spell at Chelsea.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Former England, Arsenal and Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole announced his retirement at 38 on Sunday and plans to forge a career on coaching.Cole won 13 major trophies, including three Premier League titles, and, with 107 caps, is one of just nine men to have made more than 100 appearances for England.After leaving Chelsea in 2014, he had short spells with Roma, LA Galaxy and most recently Derby County, under the management of former teammate Frank Lampard last season.
COMMENT Rahul Ramakrishnan NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Josh Allen is starting to prove that he understands just how crucial taking care of the ball is in the NFL, especially with how well the Buffalo Bills’ defense is playing right now.Allen threw for 219 yards and two touchdowns with only one interception as the Bills beat the Tennessee Titans 14-7 Sunday in a defensive showdown for their third straight win in this series.“I know there’s a stat as a quarterback I’m 8-1 with one or less turnovers,” the second-year Buffalo quarterback said. “So understanding that, playing complementary football is what we need to do and continue to improve on that.”The Bills (4-1) have won three consecutive games away from Buffalo for the first time since 2004, though so many Buffalo fans traveled here it felt much more like a home game. It’s also the first time they’ve started a season perfect through three road games since 1993.This game featured two of the NFL’s stingiest defenses, with the Titans fourth in giving up 15.5 points, and the Bills fifth, allowing 15.8 points a game. Jordan Phillips had a career-high three sacks — by halftime — as Buffalo sacked Marcus Mariota five times even with three-time Pro Bowl left tackle Taylor Lewan back from his four-game suspension for performance-enhancers.The Titans (2-3) sacked Allen four times only to lose their third in four games on a day their replacement kicker missed three field goals and had a fourth blocked.“One of my great mentors, the late, great Jim Johnson, always said you need some luck, and he’s right,” Bills coach Sean McDermott said.The Bills outgained the Titans 313-252 despite 11 penalties for 78 yards.Darryl Johnson blocked Cairo Santos’ 33-yard field-goal attempt in the fourth quarter, a kick that would’ve given the Titans the lead 10-7. Signed to fill in while Ryan Succop heals on injured reserve, Santos also pulled a 50-yard field goal wide left to start the second quarter, and a 36-yarder inside the final minute wide right. He also was wide left on a 53-yarder.“Never had a day like this,” Santos said. “Have been bouncing around with teams for a couple of years and just haven’t had a performance like this.”Fans weren’t happy that Titans coach Mike Vrabel sent Santos out for the 53-yard attempt with 6:31 left after the day he’d already had.“Well, this is our kicker,” Vrabel said. “This is a guy who’s made some kicks for us.”Johnson’s block came after Tennessee thought it had scored the go-ahead TD early in the fourth quarter when Mariota threw a pass to A.J. Brown. But officials ruled Mariota was over the line of scrimmage when he released the pass, costing the Titans the TD, a down and points after the blocked field goal.Allen responded with Buffalo’s best drive, helped by a short pass Isaiah McKenzie took 46 yards. Allen found Duke Williams for a 7-yard TD pass three plays later and a 14-7 lead with 9:46 leftThe Bills quarterback looked sharp and was on target early after being cleared only Saturday from the concussion protocol ; he took a helmet-to-helmet hit in a 16-10 loss to New England last week. Allen said he felt confident as he left the field from that loss that he would be able to play against Tennessee.Allen completed all five passes for 58 yards on the Bills’ lone scoring drive of the first half. He capped the 60-yard drive with an 8-yard pass to a wide-open Lee Smith. He was 23 of 32 passing and also ran 10 times for 27 yards.Kevin Byard picked off Allen’s pass under pressure early in the third quarter for the seventh interception this season for the Bills quarterback. Derrick Henry scored on a 1-yard TD dive to turn the interception into a tie game.DEFENSIVE SHOWDOWNPhillips got to Mariota early and often as the Bills kept the Titans from crossing midfield much of the first half. Phillips had the most sacks by a Bills defender since Lorenzo Alexander had three on Oct. 19, 2016, at the Rams, and he was the first with three sacks by halftime since Mario Williams in 2013 against Carolina. Alexander also had a sack in this game.INJURIESBills center Mitch Morse was taken to the locker room from the sideline by cart late in the first half. Jon Feliciano replaced him for the third quarter. LB Matt Milano hurt a hamstring, and rookie right tackle Cody Ford and DE Trent Murphy both were evaluated for head injuries in the second half.Titans cornerback Chris Milton hurt his calf and did not return. WATCH US LIVE First Published: 7th October, 2019 09:36 IST Last Updated: 7th October, 2019 09:36 IST Josh Allen Throws 2 TD Passes As Bills Smother Titans 14-7 Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen (17) calls for a timeout in the second half of an NFL football game against the Tennessee Titans Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019. SUBSCRIBE TO US Written By LIVE TV FOLLOW US
– Vulnerable –Liverpool, currently third in the Premier League, have not been as threatening a force as they were last season en route to the Champions League final.The midfield has looked particularly vulnerable in their past two matches, a 1-1 Premier League draw at Arsenal last Saturday and a surprisingly meek 2-0 Champions League group defeat at Red Star Belgrade on Tuesday.Neither Keita nor Fabinho played in Serbia, while their other major outfield signing of the summer, Xherdan Shaqiri, was left in England, amid concerns about the reception he would receive from the home supporters because of his Kosovan heritage.Klopp’s three-man midfield on Tuesday failed to distinguish itself, with hamstring injury victim Jordan Henderson clearly missed.James Milner’s error led to the home side’s second goal, with Georginio Wijnaldum shrugged aside too easily before Milan Pavkov scored. Adam Lallana, making a rare start, was anonymous.Fabinho was an unused substitute in Belgrade, having struggled against Arsenal, and is clearly not up to speed with the English game yet.Keita started well in England, then hit injury problems, as he suffered a back spasm during October’s Champions League defeat by Napoli, and a hamstring problem playing for Guinea.Klopp has shuffled around his midfield this season, but appears reluctant to repeat the experiment he tried in September’s Premier League win over Southampton, when Shaqiri was used in an advanced midfield role.The Switzerland international was substituted at half-time that day, because Klopp felt the match was too open.His best hope of regular game time now would appear to be as part of the attacking three, which means dislodging Salah, Firmino or Mane.Fabinho still has work to do to earn his starting spot too. Keita, though, will surely become a regular once he gets up to speed and a meeting with struggling Fulham could be the ideal place to start.Share on: WhatsApp Liverpool, United Kingdom | AFP | As Jurgen Klopp tries to maintain Liverpool’s challenge for the Premier League title, the need to sort out his midfield is becoming an increasingly pressing issue.A home match against bottom club Fulham on Sunday may just offer the opportunity to start to put that right by giving both Naby Keita and Fabinho crucial game time to build momentum and confidence.Both players were signed at great expense during the summer with a view to strengthening Liverpool’s midfield options.Keita was seen as a replacement for the attacking guile of Philippe Coutinho while Fabinho was viewed as the player to prove a defensive shield following Emre Can’s departure.Neither has yet managed to establish themselves as a powerful presence in England, with Reds boss Klopp relying largely on the players used last season.Klopp has suggested both signings need time to settle in a new country, with Guinea international Keita arriving from German club RB Leipzig, and Brazilian Fabinho joining from French Ligue 1 side Monaco.While it is understandable that neither player would hit the ground running, the need for them to find form has become more urgent, given the lack of creative spark in Liverpool’s midfield.If the front three of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane have failed to hit last season’s heights, the same is true of the midfield, where the injured Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has been sorely missed.Liverpool defender Andy Robertson has seen the difference for himself.“Last season everyone was used to us scoring four or five goals. That can’t be possible every single game,” Robertson said.“Maybe we are missing a bit of a spark in terms of not winning 4-0 or 5-0 in most games but if the manager thinks that then we need to try to get it back.“We need to come together as a team and try to give what the gaffer wants, try to get the spark and try to win games more comfortably.”
The Nelson Skating Club is inviting the public to its annual year-end show, Stars of the Galaxy, set for Saturday, May 6th in the Nelson and District Community Complex Arena.Show time is 1:30 p.m. with the event featuring skaters from the CanSkate, Junior Academy and StarSkate programs. The cost is $5 per adult and $2 for seniors and children under 12. During the Stars of the Galaxy the Nelson Skating Club is raffling off return flight tickets to Vancouver donated by Pacific Coastal.
zoom Shareholders of the South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) approved on Monday the firm’s plan to reorganize its businesses into separate companies with the aim of improving its financial status. Following the shareholders’ approval, HHI will be split into four sectors – shipbuilding, electronics, construction equipment and robotics. The new companies are expected to be formed in April 2017, the company confirmed in a listing on Korea Exchange.As a result HHI has announced trading suspension of its stock, scheduled for March 30-May 9, 2017.Announced in November 2016, the plan is part of the HHI’s self-rescue scheme to reduce indebtedness. The company said in November it will split into six units – Hyundai Robotics, Hyundai Heavy Industries, Hyundai Electric & Energy Systems, Hyundai Construction Machinery, Green Energy, and Global Services. The service department and green energy were already set up in December last year.The decision to restructure HHI’s businesses comes despite a series of protests from unions. HHI employees have organized strikes as the restructuring could bring job insecurity for relocated workers as well as for some 13,000 unionized employees to be left behind.In 2016, the shipbuilder implemented a number of revamping measures to bolster its competitiveness including a management improvement plan.These measures helped HHI return back to profit as the shipbuilder reported a net profit of KRW 682.3 billion (USD 596.6 million) for the full year of 2016, compared to a loss of KRW 1.36 trillion (USD 1.18 billion) seen in 2015.World Maritime News Staff