• Home
  • Archive by category "pjxiq"

LandSecs plots hi-tech strategy

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Indonesia scraps national exams due to COVID-19

first_imgThe government and House of Representatives have agreed to cancel the national exam for elementary, junior high and high school students amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.Syaiful Huda, chairman of House Commission X overseeing education, told the press on Monday night that the decision was made in a teleconference between the lawmakers and Education and Culture Minister Nadiem Makarim on Monday”The spread of the COVID-19 is expected to occur until April, so it is impossible for us to force students to gather for the national exam under the threat of the pandemic. Therefore, we agreed that the national exam will not be administered,” the National Awakening Party (PKB) politician said. There is also the option of implementing an online national exam.“We do not want to gather students in school buildings,” he said.Nadiem previously planned to abolish the national exam and replace it with a very different kind of educational assessment for 2021. However, lawmakers were against the idea.Nadiem in December 2019 explained that the minimum competency assessment referred to a test that would mainly evaluate students’ literacy and numerical competence.The number of coronavirus infections nationwide reached 579 as of Monday, with 49 deaths and 30 recoveries.Topics : The national exam for high school students was supposed to run next week, while junior high and elementary school were scheduled for the end of April.Syaiful added that there were several options the government and lawmakers were looking at to replace the national exam, one of which was to use assessments based on cumulative grades on report cards from three years of study for high school and junior high students, as well as six years of study for elementary students.Read also: Some 70,000 Indonesians could be infected with COVID-19 before Ramadan, scientists say”Later on, the school will calculate the grades considering all aspects on the report cards, including curricular and extracurricular activities,” he said.last_img read more

TRUE UNITY: Trinidad and Tobago governments sign deal for airlines merger

first_img Share Sharing is caring! Tweet Share NewsRegional TRUE UNITY: Trinidad and Tobago governments sign deal for airlines merger by: – May 27, 2011center_img 25 Views   no discussions Share PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC- The Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica governments Thursday hailed the agreement allowing for the Port of Spain-based Caribbean Airlines (CAL) to take over the operations of Air Jamaica as true sense of economic integration within the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).At a brief signing ceremony here, Jamaica’s Finance Minister Audley Shaw said Kingston was “therefore hopeful for a very very long and fruitful relationship.“But perhaps, just perhaps, this merger between Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica will indicate to the region the true sense of economic integration. That there are other things we can do in this region, this therefore should be the beginning of so many other areas of partnership”.His Trinidad and Tobago counterpart, Winston Dookeran said Caribbean airline will now “have legal access to all the routes that were being flown by Air Jamaica giving it an opportunity to expand in the global arena”.He said the agreement will also allow Caribbean Airlines to claim “it is the designated air carrier for Jamaica in the world at large”.In April last year, the Bruce Golding government assumed all financial liabilities up to the end of that month for Air Jamaica with CAL assuming the financial risk of continuing Air Jamaica’s activities from May 1, 2010.Under the agreement, the Jamaica government will own 16 per cent of the Trinidad-based CAL while Port of Spain will spend an estimated US$49.2 million to facilitate the expansion of CAL, which took over r five of Air Jamaica’s profitable routes last year.last_img read more

$250 Sunoco bonus at Junction Motor Speedway this weekend

first_imgIMCA will announce mid-week before the dates bonuses are to be awarded at each track. Sunoco bonuses are being presented at IMCA Late Model sanctioned weekly tracks this year. Drivers are eligible for only one bonus during the 2020 racing season. If the feature winner is a previous Sunoco winner, the bonus moves to the next eligible position. 2020 winners have been Jeff Aikey at Independence Motor Speedway, Matt Ryan at 34 Raceway, Joel Callahan at Dubuque Fairgrounds Speedway, Eric Pollard at 300 Raceway, Justin Kay at Davenport Speedway and Dalton Simonsen at Marshalltown Speedway. Ben Sukup, Cory Dumpert and Jim Johnson claimed the bonus money with successive wins at US 30 Speedway, Boone County Raceway and Off Road Speedway respectively. Dustin Griffin garnered the win at Pepsi Lee County Speedway, Don Beckstrom at Shelby County Speedway, and most recently Andy Nezworski at the Bullring at RICO Fairgrounds last weekend. VINTON, Iowa – The payday gets even better this week for the IMCA Sunoco Late Model feature winner at Junction Motor Speedway in McCool Junction, Neb. The final opportunity in the Midwest to earn a $250 Sunoco bonus is on the line this Saturday night.last_img read more

Sumner, MDI boys win tennis prelims

first_imgSULLIVAN — The Sumner boys’ tennis team (6-7) beat Dexter (4-9) in the Class C North preliminary round of the playoffs on Tuesday to advance to the quarterfinals on Thursday.Sumner, the No. 7 seed, defeated No. 10 Dexter 3-2.For singles, William Strauch of Dexter beat Mike Allen 6-1, 6-1; Noah Goldfarb of Sumner beat Chandler Perkins 6-0, 7-5; and Will Quinn of Sumner beat Nick Hershbine 6-2, 6-3.For doubles, Sam Tracy and Finn Russet of Sumner beat John Lane and George Lewis 6-3, 6-2; and Hunter Speed and Tyler Levesque of Dexter beat Austin Rumill and Neil Wilpan 6-2, 6-0.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textSumner will face No. 2 Orono in the quarterfinals.The No. 8 MDI boys (8-5) defeated No. 9 Presque Isle (8-5) 5-0 in Tuesday’s Class B North prelim.For singles, Kaleb Payson beat Denny Young 6-2, 6-2; Teddy Geary beat Byron Wilson 6-2, 6-4; and Drake Janes beat Andre Daigle 6-2, 6-3.For doubles, Jimmy Carroll and Max Craigo beat Colin Daigle and Jordan Bonville 1-6, 7-5, 6-4; and Gabe Michael and Derek Collin beat Mason Young and Tyler Ayotte 7-6 (7-4), 6-2.MDI will play No. 1 John Bapst (12-0) in the quarterfinals.Other teams that advanced to the quarterfinals with byes in the preliminary round include the George Stevens Academy boys’ and girls’ teams and the MDI girls.In the Class C North quarterfinals, the No. 1 GSA boys (10-2) will host No. 9 Piscataquis (5-6-1); and the No. 2 GSA girls will host either No. 10 Deer Isle-Stonington (5-7) or No. 7 Orono(11-1).In the Class B North quarterfinals, the No. 5 MDI girls (10-2) will at play No. 4 Camden Hills (12-0).last_img read more

Cricket News WATCH: Inzamam-ul-Haq attacks Indian fan for calling him ‘aloo’, ‘motu’

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Former Pakistan skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq is regarded as one of the best batsmen of his generation with a shy, soft-spoken personality. He mostly did his talking with the willow and hardly got into heated, on-field bust-ups. However, Inzamam once lost his cool during a match between India and Pakistan in Sahara Cup. Inzamam in 1997 had nearly beaten up a fan with a bat.During India vs Pakistan in 1997 Sahara Cup, Shiv Kumar Thind, a Canada-based Indian fan constantly sledged Inzamam-ul-Haq from the stands. Thind, who carried a megaphone, was backed up by a bunch of Indian supporters during the 2nd ODI at the Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club.ALSO READ: Asia Cup 2018: India vs Pakistan | Check out these rivalry stats”O mote, sidha khara ho [O fatty, stand straight], mota aaloo, sara alloo [fat potato, rotten potato],” he repeatedly sledged the Pakistani.However, Inzy ignored the chants initially but lost his cool as he jumped the fence with a bat in an attempt to attack Thind.ALSO READ: Moeen Ali reveals Aussie cricketer called him ‘Osama’ during Ashes Recently, Inzamam-ul-Haq made the headlines after he was alleged of selecting his son in the Pakistan junior cricket team. Former chief selector Abdul Qadir had claimed that Inzamam – now the chief selector of Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) – was behind the selection of Ibtisam-ul-Haq (Inzamam’s son) in the junior cricket team. Watch that incident here:last_img read more

Upper Corentyne Cricket Association/Baijnauth Sawmills 20/20 Cup : All teams invited for today’s drawing

first_imgTHE Competitions Committee of the Upper Corentyne Cricket Association (UCCA) has announced that the drawing for the Baijnauth Sawmills 20/20 competition will be done today at the #73 Cricket Club ground at 16:00hrs.The captain, team manager and secretary of each of the participating clubs are asked to attend this drawing which will decide the preliminary round fixture of the competition.Clubs are asked to bring along a list of 15 players who will represent their respective clubs in the competition.A representative from the Guyana Umpires Council will be in attendance to explain the rules of the competition to all captains and managers.The UCCA has advised that it is compulsory for clubs that fall within the ambit of the Association’s control to attend this drawing, since those who do not attend will be at a definite disadvantage.Secretary of the UCCA, Mr Vadanand Persaud is urging clubs to select their best 15 players, since the rules of the competition will not allow clubs to introduce players into the competition who are not on their list.He is encouraging clubs to see the need to include upcoming, vibrant Under-19 players into their squads, since these players he said, are the future of cricket in the area.Mr Hamant Jagdeo, president of the UCCA is optimistic that this competition will be one of a kind in the area, and said that players have much to gain from their participation in these games.He wishes to advise the clubs that their participation is essential for the association to achieve its full potential, and for all to benefit in the game of cricket.He is appealing to members of the business community to support the association, and its programmes, and to lend support in any way they can.He lamented the state of cricket in the area and reassured the clubs that he and his executives will work arduously to ensure the glory days of cricket are returned to the area.An Under-17 competition will soon commence to select players for trials to the Berbice Under-17 inter-county team, Clubs will be notified shortly of the details of the competition.last_img read more

After a tumultuous fall semester, USG leaders look back on their progress

first_imgDuring the past semester, USG worked with departments like Student Affairs and USC Civic Engagement. Lee is a current member of the President’s Culture Commission, a group of 13 faculty members and students created by Interim President Wanda Austin to address campus-wide issues and improve its culture. The commission is currently focusing on revising the University’s Code of Ethics. Though Lee and Ackerman would not say whether there was anything in particular they would have changed about their response to these incidents, they explained that they had developed an optimistic mindset to counter obstacles in USG. During the 2018 campaign, Lee and Ackerman ran on improving campus safety and wellness. Under their guidance, USG has worked with the Engemann Student Health Center to provide student input on initiatives such as the expansion of mental health counselors on campus. “I think our biggest accomplishment in our term has been building bridges among so many campus partners,” Lee said. “It’s truly incredible to see how many people are eager to work with students. It’s just that they need some student input to guide direction.” Emily Smith/Daily Trojan The two are also working to create more rest and meditation spaces across the campus by communicating with Engemann and the Office of Health Promotion Strategy. Lee said she has also begun working with USC Transportation to advocate for greater parking options, as only full-day plans are currently available. The working relationship between Lee and Ackerman began far before they became USG president and vice president. The two attended Beverly Hills High School together, where they had also both served in the student government as president and vice president, each for one year. “While goals you can check off a list are really important, the best thing was that we really built relationships for years to come that people can rely on,” Ackerman said. “I think those relationships will go a lot longer and further than just the projects that we’ve completed here.” In a turbulent fall semester, USC encountered continued fallout from revelations of sexual abuse by a campus gynecologist, new University leadership under an interim president and a rise in student activism over a controversial speaker on campus. “I think a lot of this job requires you to remember what’s important and to cut off the noise that comes with it,” Lee said. center_img But USG also faced backlash for funding an event that brought conservative speaker Ben Shapiro to campus in October. While USG currently partially funds all student-run events, senators recently proposed a bylaw amendment to allow students to petition to reject USG funding in case of safety threats on campus, partially in response to the Shapiro event. The Senate also censured Ackerman in November after an anonymous email revealed comments he made that appeared to support hazing in his fraternity. However, the censure was later declared invalid and no official action or investigation against Ackerman was announced. But for Undergraduate Student Government President Debbie Lee and Vice President Blake Ackerman, the past several months have also seen lasting positive change. Despite a semester riddled with conflicts, the two have been satisfied with their contribution to the growth of USG and its interactions with the University. This semester, USG has also collaborated with the Office of Campus Wellness and Crisis Intervention, working with Associate Vice Provost Ilene Rosenstein and Dean of Religious Life Varun Soni to create OT 299, a one-unit occupational therapy course about healthy living. “I think we’ve cultivated at least 30 different kinds of relationships with various offices and departments across the University,” Lee said. “I’m very much looking forward to keeping those relationships in their fullest capacities and passing those on.” “There have definitely been moments where we wanted to tear each other’s hair out,” Ackerman said. “But for every one of those moments, there are about a thousand moments where I want to just give her a huge hug and say thank you for being you.” For the remainder of their term, Lee and Ackerman are concentrating on following through on their remaining platform points. This includes engaging with USC’s  Symbols and Monuments Task Force, with the goal of renaming the Von KleinSmid Center due to the controversial history of Rufus B. von KleinSmid, the fifth president of USC who was an advocate for ethnic sterilization. “There are a few things that were a little bit stalled due to circumstances in the University and whatnot,” Lee said. “But I’m really looking forward to seeing how we can actually push for those things and get those done.”last_img read more

Ramon Laureano’s suspension reduced from 6 games to 4

first_imgLast Updated: 15th August, 2020 09:28 IST Ramon Laureano’s Suspension Reduced From 6 Games To 4 Oakland Athletics center fielder Ramon Laureano had a six-game suspension reduced to four games Friday after appealing the penalty for his role in a benches-clearing brawl with the rival Houston Astros First Published: 15th August, 2020 09:28 IST LIVE TV SUBSCRIBE TO US Written By COMMENTcenter_img WATCH US LIVE Associated Press Television News Oakland Athletics center fielder Ramon Laureano had a six-game suspension reduced to four games Friday after appealing the penalty for his role in a benches-clearing brawl with the rival Houston Astros.Major League Baseball said a settlement had been reached and the A’s were informed of the decision. Laureano was set to begin the four-game suspension Friday night and will miss a three-game weekend Bay Bridge Series against the San Francisco Giants. After sitting out Monday at Arizona, he will be eligible to play Tuesday against the Diamondbacks.Astros hitting coach Álex Cintrón received a 20-game suspension and a fine Tuesday for his role in the fracas at Oakland last Sunday. Laureano also received a fine.Cintrón’s suspension is the longest for an on-field transgression in 15 years, since Texas pitcher Kenny Rogers received 20 games for his altercation with two cameramen in 2005.Laureano was hit by a pitch from Humberto Castellanos with one out in the seventh inning of Oakland’s 7-2 victory — the third time he got hit in the series and the fifth time overall for an A’s batter. Houston players weren’t plunked at all. He pointed at Castellanos and began exchanging words with a gesturing Cintrón then left first base, threw down his batting helmet and began sprinting toward the 41-year-old Cintrón.Astros catcher Dustin Garneau tackled Laureano before the A’s outfielder got to the hitting coach. Laureano is a former Astros player and the rival clubs have been the top two teams in the AL West the past two years. A’s pitcher Mike Fiers, another former Houston player, revealed the Astros’ sign-stealing scandal in November to The Athletic.Image credits: AP FOLLOW USlast_img read more

National Sports Authority bank accounts frozen over debt

first_imgIn a bid to retrieve monies owed them, one of National Sports Authority creditors has obtained a court order to block the bank accounts of the Authority.National Sports Authority is also immersed in a $380,000 judgement debt to be paid to one Litina Travel and Tour and other unnamed creditors.The Travel agency took to the court after a contract it legally won was handed to another company for Ghana’s participation at the 2015 All Africa Games, it is understood.Confirming the news, a helpless spokesperson for the Sports Authority, Frederica Mensah-Davies said “these debts have been there in the last 4 to 5 years.”“Some, since activities that took place like going on trips that we owe the travel agents have been hanging on since 2013 and unfortunately, we’ve not been able to service all those debts.“Most of them decided to take us to court and as I speak, our account has been garnished,” she added. The NSA is not only broke but a vehicle for the operations of the office too has been confiscated.“Two days ago, a court order came and one of our buses had to be taken away. A Policeman came with a bailiff and it had to be taken away,” she further revealed.last_img read more