Residents near the former Defense Ministry building in Congo Town were last Thursday held aghast when a man identified only as Baby was accidentally entrapped under the rubble of a building demolished by the Chinese company constructing the new Ministerial Complex.“He was collecting sand between heavy broken pieces of concrete when he mistakenly stepped on one of them which dragged him beneath several other pieces,” John Kollie, an eyewitness told the Daily Observer.Nearly 300 persons, including police officers, joined the effort to rescue the victim from the debris to safety. After two hours of struggle, 18 men were able to remove the debris and rescue the victim, who survived his ordeal and was rushed to the JFK hospital for treatment.An eyewitness said, “Baby was under the concrete for more than an hour and only God’s intervention led people to get him out to safety.”A woman believed to be the victim’s sister fainted when she rushed to the scene and learned of what had happened to her brother. Several other women burst into tears when they saw the man trapped under the ruins.The debris was leftover from the former Ministry of Defense building, demolished recently to give way for the construction of a new Ministerial Complex near Peace Island. A good number of community residents engage in sand mining for sale at the site and without much concern for what could happen to them, rush there daily to haul sand as a means of survival.“We haul sand from there for sale at L$500 a bag,” Peter Sampson, 25, said.He told the Daily Observer that community sand mining has become their only means of survival.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Antonio Conte has revealed his calm exterior belies a host of anxieties over leading Chelsea into the new Premier League campaign.The Chelsea manager rejected suggestions he cuts a cool and collected managerial figure, ahead of the Blues hosting West Ham at Stamford Bridge on Monday night.After insisting he has no plans to let Nemanja Matic leave amid interest from Juventus in the 28-year-old midfielder, Italian Conte vowed to rebuild Chelsea’s fragile confidence after last season’s dispiriting 10th-place league finish.“I think that I’m not very relaxed, because it’s the first time I have managed a new team in a new league in a new country,” said Conte, when asked if he is as calm as some suggest.“That’s a fantastic challenge for me, also for my family. And for this reason I’m not very relaxed.“I know that we are working very hard to be prepared for this new season.“I know that we have to do a lot of work to improve, but we started and for this reason I’m very happy to start this fantastic experience. This is the best for me and I’m excited for this.”Conte, who arrived at Chelsea after leading Italy at Euro 2016, added: “We are working about a new ideal, a new philosophy for football. I’m trying to bring in my principles, my ideas.“And I know that the players are the same as last season, but also I know that these players two years ago won the title. And it’s important to find the right confidence.“Because I think this team, this squad had lost a little the confidence for the past season, for last year.“We are working also on this aspect, to play football, to play attractive football, to try to return very, very soon to fight for the right position for Chelsea.” Antonio Conte’s first Chelsea match is against West Ham on Monday 1
Week TwoThe Cope House started their season with a big 9-1 home win over Glenhead, Declan Cunningham won the opening singles 3-0 against Hugh Doherty, Declan also had a 117 checkout Barry Carr won the last singles of the night for Glenhead. Big Francies made up for last week’s defeat in style with a 8-2 win over O’Donnell’s, Mike Naulty won the opening singles with a 3-0 victory against Andrew Gillespie. Mike had two 180s and John Gallagher had one for the away side, also in this game there was a 15 dart finish for Mike Naulty a 17 dart finish also for Mike and Neil Paul Whoriskey and 18 darters for John Gallagher and John D Gallagher. Kilcar House made it two from two with a hard fought 6-4 win in The Bridge Bar, Adrian Byrne beat Raymond Hegarty 3-2 in the opening singles he also had a 108 finish.Week Two Results Bridge Bar 4-6 Kilcar HouseBig Francies 8-2 O’Donnell’sCope House 9-1 Glenhead P W D L PtsKilcar House 2 2 0 0 13Big Francies 2 1 0 1 11Cope House 1 1 0 0 9Roartys 1 1 0 0 9Glenhead 2 1 0 1 8 Bridge Bar 2 0 0 2 7O’Donnell’s 2 0 0 2 3Big Francies Darts TournamentCompetition in Big Francies Ardara this Saturday 20th October registration will be at 6pm and start 7pm sharp, please be on time or send Mike a text at 087-2294939, this competition will be open to all current SWDDL players and also all former players and locals….. Format will be 501 double start/finish, best of 7, semi-finals best of 9, and final best of 13. Good luck to all who participate and I hope to see most of our league players there…..Week Three FixturesFriday 26th OctoberGlenhead v RoartysKilcar House v O’Donnell’sSaturday 27thCope House v Big FranciesBridge Bar byeDARTS: SOUTH WEST DONEGAL LEAGUE was last modified: October 14th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal South West Darts league
They said we were ‘barking mad’ to dream of two Ulster titles in a row.But Jim McGuinness and his men were top dogs last night after collaring Down to capture the Anglo Celt Cup in Clones yesterday.A huge army of Donegal fans travelled to Monaghan hoping to make history. And despite a cautious opening half, Donegal cantered to a comfortable 2-18 to 0-13 victory.Even the dogs in the street came out to meet the Donegal team in Pettigo and across the county into The Diamond in Donegal Town for a victory rally.Captain Michael Murphy took the lead when he said Donegal still want to be still fighting come September.There may have been huge tail-backs from Clones back to Donegal last night but nobody complained. Instead thoughts have already turned to the All Ireland quarter finals at Croke Park.It may not be a hot summer but it could be a long one! PAWFECT! DONEGAL ARE TOP DOGS OF ULSTER! was last modified: July 23rd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Anglo CeltdonegalJim McGuinnessUlster Championship
OAKLAND – The Warriors gush about Damian Jones’ qualities as quickly as he moves with his 7-foot, 245-pound frame.“He’s obviously a physical force of nature,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said. “He’s powerful and explosive.”The Warriors rave about Jones’ attributes with his post presence, his passing, his work ethic and his inviting personality. No wonder the Warriors drafted him at No. 30 in the 2016 NBA Draft.“It’s great to see how aggressive he’s become, especially on the offensive glass …
Information has emerged about another landslide in Odisha’s Gajapati district during Cyclone Titli; eight people were killed in it and seven are missing.The landslide occurred late in the night on October 11 in Kainpur panchayat of Raigada block. With this, the number of people who died or are missing due to Titli in Gajapati district rose to 40. As Kainpur area remained cut-off after the cyclone, the news about it came out almost three days later.The landslide occurred in Kainpur panchayat at around midnight on October 11. Kainpur panchayat borders Gangabada panchayat, where 15 persons had died and three others went missing because of a landslide that occurred during landfall of Titli cyclone on October 11 morning.The sarpanch and panchayat extension officer of Kainpur have confirmed the landslide and the death toll. Buried under debrisAccording to sources, inhabitants of five villages of Kainpur had taken shelter in two school buildings during daytime on October 11 to save themselves from the cyclone. Around midnight, when the rain stopped, a group of them had come out to collect food. The landslide occurred shortly and 15 persons got buried under the debris.Villagers had recovered eight bodies, while seven others are still missing. As bodies were decomposing and officials had not reached the spot even on Sunday (October 14), localites are said to have cremated the bodies.Two more persons were reported to have died due to wall collapse in Gangabada panchayat of Raigada block. Unofficial numbers of persons dead or missing in other areas of Gajapati district include two each from Gosani, Gandahati, Laxmipur and one from Kashinagar. Administration has confirmed 18 deaths in Gajapati district and reports of other deaths were being verified. State government has declared to provide four lakh rupees compensation to families of each deceased.Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told newsmen in Bhubaneswar that he will not celebrate his birthday on Tuesday as people of the State are suffering because of the Titli cyclone and the rains that followed. Mr Patnaik had not celebrated his birthday in 2013 and 2014 in the wake of Phailin and Hudhud cyclones.The CM reviewed the relief and restoration work in the State secretariat in Bhubaneswar on Tuesday evening. State chief secretary, A.P.Padhi, who visited Gajapati, the most affected district of Titli cyclone was also present in this meeting.After this meeting the CM declared provision of one thousand rupees, 50Kg rice and 2.5 litre kerosene to all Titli cyclone affected families. The CM has also declared that 2000 rupees more will be deposited in bank accounts of affected families in near future.As per release of CM’s office, by Tuesday polythene sheets will be provided to all families whose houses were damaged. Eleven trucks of polythene sheets reached Gajapati district for distribution on Monday and 50 more truck loads of polythene sheets will reach there on Tuesday, said Mr Padhi in Gajapati district. The chief secretary said efforts were continuing to resume power supply to all consumers in the district by October 20, while power will be provided to all block headquarters by Tuesday evening.
Three more persons were held on Thursday in connection with the gang-rape of a 21-year-old woman near Issewal village here, taking the total number of those nabbed in the case to six. “All six accused involved in the case have been arrested,” DGP Dinkar Gupta said here.
Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. AFP official booed out of forum MOST READ Read Next Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony PLAY LIST 00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Meanwhile, Bob Arum has declared Pacquiao vs Matthysse an impossibility.“I see Manny has talked about fighting Matthysse,” Arum told Boxingscene. “But that’s not gonna happen.” Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting For the record, Pacquiao has not bothered to comment directly on Arum’s choice of Alvarado.Yesterday, veteran sportswriter Nick Giongco reported Pacquiao has bared his choice of a next opponent.“I want Matthysse,” Giongo said Pacquiao told him during a break in the Senate Tuesday afternoon.Giongco said Pacquiao believes his own aggressive style and Matthysse’s penchant for toe-to-toe combat would make for a very compelling bout.Matthysse took the WBA 147-lb belt with a stoppage of Thailand’s Tewa Kiram last month. His record is 39 wins, 4 losses, one draw with 36 KOs.“Matthysse is the fight that I like, a fight fans would also like to see,” Giongco quoted Pacquiao as declaring.Trainer Freddie Roach has himself said he would love Pacquiao to face Matthyse next.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Teng feeling like a rookie again in reunion with Jarencio at GlobalPort Veteran promoter Bob Arum made a promise to provide something unique (and nice) for Manny Pacquiao’s next fight. After a long wait, it turned out the unusual opponent Arum meant was former world title-holder Mike Alvarado.Top Rank Inc. has announced that the Pacquiao-Alvarado bout would be featured side-by-side with the WBO welterweight title defense in April of Australian Jeff Horn against the unbeaten Terence Crawford of Omaha.ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Alvarado is a banged-up warrior who got seriously crushed in a losing title defense against Ruslan Provodnikov in October 2013. He was stopped in 10 rounds.As noted by Philboxing.com founder and chief editor Dong Secuya, Alvarado next lost by decision to Juan Manuel Marquez in May 2014, before being stopped by Brandon Rios in three rounds in January 2015.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“It was in the last Rios loss that he seemed out of it,” Dong Secuya said.It’s a bit puzzling, but if there’s anything unique Arum has found, it could be Alvarado’s four-straight wins (against unranked foes) since his return to the ring. NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers View comments
Sporadic attacks on Sinhalese pilgrims to the famed Catholic shrines at Vailankanni and Poondi in Tamil Nadu since Monday have forced many of them to cancel their programmes and pack off. Ultra-Tamil nationalist groups have been targeting the tourists ahead of the impending state visit of Lankan premier Mahinda Rajapaksa. Nearly 184 pilgrims are waiting at the airport in Trichy, about 300 km south of Chennai, to board a special flight on Tuesday night, police said. The contingent, hailing from Puttalam in Central Sri Lanka, comprised of 86 women and 36 children.Coming close on the heels of the deportation of two school soccer teams from the island nation, which were here for friendly matches, the attacks have rattled both new Delhi and Colombo with the latter issuing a travel advisory. Sri Lankans have been advised against visiting Tamil Nadu in view of the hostile atmosphere. While the deportation was on the orders of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, who has also directed the suspension of a sports official for granting the Nehru stadium for a tie, her bte noire and DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi has criticised the move.The annual feast of the Lady of Good Health at coastal Vailankanni in Nagapattinam district and the shrine at scenic Poondi on the banks of Cauvery in Thanjavur district attract a very large number of pilgrims from far and wide.It is usual for a large number of Sri Lankans, both Tamils and Sinhalese, to visit these places during the annual feast.Arriving in two groups at Trichy on Sunday, the Sri Lankan pilgrims headed to Poondi enroute Vailankanni. They had planned to stay in the state till September 15. Trouble first broke when a few Tamil Groups like the ‘Naam Thamilar’ party, Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK) and Tamil Desiya Poduvudamai Katchi (TDPK) gheroed the visiting Sinhalese within the premises of the shrine. Later, they were targeted at Vailankanni taking even the police by surprise. As the contingent neared Trichy, they were waylaid by a group which attacked their vehicle. But, police intervened and safely escorted them to the airport. No one was injured in the incident but no arrest has been made so far.”They are all Sinhalese who know Tamil. Since they are from the Hill country in the island nation, with a high presence of Indian Origin Tamils, they are proficient in Tamil. All of them will be leaving by a special Sri Lankan flight in the night,” Police Commissioner Shailesh Kumar said.advertisement