WESTERN BUREAU:Petersfield FC central midfielder Akeem Whyte thinks his team has the necessary pieces to put together a strong run for the Charley’s JB Rum Western Confederation Super League title.Petersfield, who defeated defending champions Savannah SC 2-1 in Sunday’s fourth-round match, are in a three-way tie for the lead in Zone One, with nine points, the same as Salt Marsh and Granville FC.The former Petersfield High School daCosta Cup standout has been asked to lead the team. He said so far, it has been a good learning experience.”We are currently second in the zone and are feeling confident. We always play to win, so a victory is always important to us,” Whyte said.At 19, Whyte is the league’s youngest captain, and though aware of the tremendous amount of pressure the role brings, he admits to enjoying the challenge.”I am still a very young man. I graduated school last year, but I know I am able to bring the team to the level of success we crave,” he said.Whyte was clearly a calming influence in his team’s win over Savannah on Sunday, and the attack-minded midfielder is hoping to make a mark with Petersfield, as they go in search of a first Super League crown and a chance to qualify to the Red Stripe Premier League.Petersfield striker Romario Whyte (no relation to Akeem), another of the team’s young guns, notched a double in the win.Whyte opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the seventh minute and added his second in the 46th. He could have had the league’s first hat-trick of the season, but his effort from close range was blocked on the line by a defender, to keep the score at 2-0 at half-time.Leaton Galloway scored the only goal in a stronger second-half performance from Savannah, which remain grounded on a single point and last in the zone after four matches played.Beaches Negril, in only their second year in the League, are out front in Zone Two, following their 2-1 win over Village United at Llandilo for seven points from four matches.Lucea FC were defeated 2-0 by Granville and remain winless in the league, while their victors held on to third in Group One, with that result and Clark’s Town, the Trelawny champions, edged Sandals Whitehouse 1-0 at Cedric Titus High School.
Bob Zimmer’s office in Fort St. John was the site of cheers and celebration as the majority of voters in the Prince George-Peace River-Northern Rockies riding re-elected him as MP tonight.As of Monday night, 72% of the votes in the riding have returned, and 16,052 of those were for Zimmer. That amounts to almost half of the vote cast.Following by the number of votes were:Matt Shaw, 8,625 votes (Liberal)Kathi Dickie, 5,257 (NDP)Elizabeth Biggar, 1,809 (Green)W. Todd Keller, 387 (Libertarian)Barry Blackman, 330 (Progressive)- Advertisement -33,300 of 76,312 registered voters have voted thus far.Zimmer said he was excited to be back, and to have this job again for the next term.This election is different from his last in a few ways, he said. One reason being that he was running for MP as an incumbent, and felt he knew what he was getting himself into.Advertisement Though a Liberal majority government wasn’t his first choice for this election’s results, he said he acknowledges that the people have spoken and chosen the government they want right now.As Justin Trudeau becomes the new prime minister of Canada, Stephen Harper exits after a 9 year term and resigned as leader of the Conservative Party of Canada – though remains in his role as MP.Zimmer calls Harper a ‘great prime minister and friend.’Tomorrow, October 20th, is also Zimmer’s birthday. He called his re-election a great early birthday present – though he says he will be spending quite some time tomorrow picking up lawn signs. “I knew the issues now than I did before, so that’s why I felt comfortable going into the debates,” he told reporters at his office.Another reason this election was different was because he was first elected with a Conservative majority to parliament, and this time he will be on the official opposition with a Liberal majority.Coming back as MP for a second term with those differences, he said he will be trying to insure that the new Liberal majority government is on the same page about the potential of the LNG industry – as he feels there is a lot of room for growth in the Peace Region.“We want to make sure our local industries are going to be well understood in Ottawa,” Zimmer said.Advertisement
Bruce Grobbelaar believes Steven Gerrard’s decision to call time on his England career is down to his determination to win the Premier League with Liverpool.Gerrard has never won the title and, having come so close last year, Grobbelaar reckons the Reds skipper has quit international duty in order to focus all his energies on achieving his dream.“His last wish is to lift the Premier League trophy,” said the former Liverpool goalkeeper, speaking on Extra Time.“He wants to win the title. He has dedicated himself to the club and he is going to do his best to make sure, in his last four years, the club win the Premier League. Then he can say he has done it all.”Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson believes Gerrard should have continued his international career, but Grobbelaar insists the 34-year-old has made the right call, for himself and for his club.“He has played flat out for England for many, many years and he has done very well. Now he needs to be focused on the Liverpool set-up and I think that is an admirable thing to do,” added the Anfield great.“For the club, it is a brilliant decision, because when you go to all these places to play these friendlies with the national side, he could come back with an injury and that could affect Liverpool in the Champions League. It is very good that he has done it.”
Wayne Rooney has denied ever handing in a transfer request at Manchester United.The striker had a much-publicised fall-out with Sir Alex Ferguson towards the end of his reign at Old Trafford.He was left out of Ferguson’s final game in charge in 2013 after the Scot suggested that Rooney had requested a move away from the club.But Rooney, who penned a new long-term contract with United following Ferguson’s departure, insists that was never the case.“I went in to see him [Alex Ferguson] and just said, ‘If you are not going to play me, it might be better for me to move on’,” Rooney reveals, in the BBC documentary Wayne Rooney – The Man Behind The Goals.“Then, all of a sudden, it was all over the press that I had put a transfer request in, which I never did.“I don’t know what happened and why that came out that way.”While Rooney admits he did not always see eye to eye with Ferguson, he hails the Scot as “the best manager of all time” and says he was the reason behind his move from Everton to Manchester United in 2004.The 29-year-old opens up about the 2006 World Cup in the film, conceding that he was not fit enough after fracturing a metatarsal bone in his right foot six weeks before the tournament.“Before the World Cup in Germany I broke my foot at Chelsea,” Rooney says.“You could feel the excitement building around the World Cup and it was touch and go as to whether I would be fit. And then Sven (-Goran Eriksson) put me in the squad.“Looking back, if I could have gone back in time, then I probably would have sat out the World Cup. It was a big ask to get fit after six weeks out; I was never going to have that match sharpness.” 1 Wayne Rooney
Liverpool update ‘Champions Wall’ after ending 2019 as European and world champions Liverpool have suffered multiple injury blows during the international break 1 REVEALED Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury targets Latest Liverpool News Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? REVEALED Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT REVEALED TROPHY Liverpool forward Sadio Mane has had surgery on a hand injury, the club have confirmed.The Reds ace suffered a broken thumb while on international duty with Senegal this week. The operation was deemed a success and Mane could still feature in his side’s return to Premier League action at Huddersfield on Saturday, live on talkSPORT.“Liverpool Football Club can confirm Sadio Mane today underwent a procedure on a hand injury sustained while on international duty with Senegal,” read a club statement.“The surgery, conducted at a north-west hospital and supervised by club medics, was successful.“Mane’s recovery will be monitored over the next couple of days ahead of the Reds’ return to action at Huddersfield Town on Saturday.”The26-year-old was injured in a training session with Senegal that ruled him out of a match against Sudan.He was not the only injury-hit Liverpool star during the international break as Mohamed Salah, Virgil van Dijk and Naby Keita all also endured problems. Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars RANKED gameday cracker The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star huge blow latest shining Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Salah returned early from international duty after being forced off with a muscle strain during Egypt’s 4-1 victory over Swaziland in an African Nations Cup qualifier last Friday.Keita, meanwhile, was pictured being carried off the pitch by a team-mate during Guinea’s draw against Rwanda on Tuesday after apparently suffering a hamstring injury.Van Dijk does appear certain to play against Huddersfield despite Holland manager Ronald Koeman claiming he has been playing with broken ribs for several weeks and giving him the night off on Tuesday as a result.With James Milner expected to be sidelined by his own hamstring problem, Jurgen Klopp could be left short in midfield.
There has been much sadness this morning at the sudden death of former Donegal GAA great John Hannigan.John, who was in his 70s, was a loyal servant to both his club St Eunans in Letterkenny and to Donegal whom he played with for many years in the 1960s and 1970s.John was a nurse in St Conals but he will be remembered fondly as arguably one of Donegal greatest footballers. He played for Donegal minors when they won their first Ulster title in 1956 and went on to play for the seniors an incredible 114 times over 16 years from 1958 until 1973.He won an Ulster Senior Championship medal in 1972 as well as three Dr. McKenna Cups in 1963, 1965 and 1967 and three consecutive Lagan Cups in 1965, ‘66, ‘67.He also won five senior championship medals with his beloved St Eunan’s and after retirement he was manager of Donegal in 1975 and 1976.He was a keen golfer with a low handicap and a much-loved member of his local community where he lived in Knocknamona Terrace in Letterkenny. He is survived by his wife Claire and family. SADNESS AT SUDDEN DEATH OF FORMER DONEGAL GAA GREAT was last modified: April 23rd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:deathdonegalGAAJOHN HANNIGANSt Eunans
Donegal Senator Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has secured an extensive debate in the Seanad on the funding of the A5 dual carriageway and the City of Derry Airport.It follows a request that the Minister for Transport, Shane Ross come into the Seanad to hear statements on the need for Irish Government commitment on vital transport spending for Donegal and the North West.This has now been confirmed for three weeks time on Wednesday November 16th. Senator Mac Lochlainn said “I am pleased to have secured this important focus on the funding of the A5 dual carriageway and the City of Derry Airport. There is a huge deficit in transport infrastructure between Donegal and the North West with the rest of this island. It is long documented that there is no motorway, rail or air link from North Donegal, Derry and Tyrone to our capital city and key economic and transport hub, Dublin.“We need to hear from the Minister for Transport, Shane Ross what he and his Government plan to do to redress this appalling historical neglect. The matching funding committed to the vital A5 project by previous Irish Governments was £400 million sterling. However that commitment has been reduced down to €75 million by this Government. This is no where enough to deliver this project and Minister Ross and the Taoiseach need to understand the serious concerns of the people of Donegal and the North West”.“It is also essential that Minister Ross understand the importance of the City of Derry Airport to the development of tourism and our economy in North Donegal as well as Derry and Tyrone. Up to 150,000 Donegal passengers use the airport every year. 40% of the total passenger numbers there. For the last number of years, the Irish Government have not contributed one cent towards the running of the airport and this needs to be sorted out.“Linking the City of Derry Airport to Dublin airport means linking tourists from North America and Europe directly to our region”. Key debate to take place in Seanad on funding of A5 and Derry Airport was last modified: October 25th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Also a … Arcata >> If you didn’t know any better, you might think new Humboldt State defensive coordinator Barry Sacks is a Humboldt County native, not somebody who has been living here since early-February.A native of the Pacific Northwest, he’s a man who loves living close to the ocean and is more than happy to go mountain biking in the hills and forest behind the Redwood Bowl.Understandably, he describes the acclimation process as no big deal at all. “It was immediate,” he said.
On the latest episode of the Warriors HQ Podcast, Mark Medina runs the gamut with assistant coach Mike Brown.Brown is a guy who could’ve easily jumped back into the head coaching game somewhere across the league already, but his love of the organization and the area seem to be giving him no reason to look elsewhere for now.Now that he’s moved to San Francisco, Brown is looking forward to hitting his favorite jazz club, the Black Cat, more often and beating Bay Bridge traffic on his Harley.B …
Tags:#user-generated content#web After months of work, social trip planner Stay.com is getting ready to unshutter and launch a much more robust Version 2.0. “Basically, we created 2.0 by filling in all the blanks other sites like Expedia, TripIt, TripAdvisor, NileGuide, and all the others left undone,” said Phil Butler, PR rep for the company. When Stay.com first launched, it featured a very limited roster of cities. When Stay.com 2.0 launches on June 15th, it will do so with 50 cities instead of a handful and with the same assisted-DIY, social travel focus. Stay.com 2.0 will offer templates and travel information from previous users, as well as the ability to add your own research in order to build a guide to a place. Each added element, called an “object” can be pulled into others’ guides or itineraries, which they call “stays.” Social web elements create communication across boundaries between travelers, turning it from a source to a platform. Traditional and necessary elements of travel sites, like booking assistance and reservations are also provided. Social media elements are not rare in travel sites and Stay.com is not battling in a wide-open arena. Dopplr, TripSay, TripWiser and Nextstop are all heavily focused on online social contributions. Turning each entry, photo and other piece of information into an “object” that can be re-purposed by a traveler for each new “stay,” makes it intriguing. So does the ability to draw from standard design and presentation elements, giving it a professional look. If, as they promise, the drive for full mobility is achieved, that will help as well. But because each new guide adds to the overall utility of the site, the development and sustainability of a community is likely to be key to Stay.com’s success. Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts curt hopkins