– Advertisement – The court’s six conservatives seemed sympathetic to arguments made by Kyle Hawkins, the Texas Solicitor General, and acting Justice Department Solicitor General Jeffrey Wall that the individual mandate became unconstitutional when it was stripped of an accompanying penalty.But Roberts and Kavanaugh suggested that would not doom the rest of the law.“I think it’s hard for you to argue that Congress intended the entire act to fall if the mandate was struck down,” Roberts told Hawkins. Roberts was appointed by President George W. Bush.Roberts acknowledged that some Republican lawmakers may have wanted the Supreme Court to strike down the law, “but that’s not our job.”Kavanaugh told Donald Verrilli, who was solicitor general under former President Barack Obama, that “I tend to agree with you that this is a very straightforward case” and that under the court’s precedents “we would excise the mandate and leave the rest of the act in place.”Later, Kavanaugh told Hawkins that it “sure seems” like Congress in 2017 wanted to lower the individual mandate penalty without getting rid of the Affordable Care Act’s other provisions, such as its protections for those with preexisting conditions.The court’s three liberals, Justice Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan are expected to side with California and a coalition of other Democratic-led states that are defending Obamacare. It takes five votes to gain a majority on the nine-judge panel.Two lower courts sided with Texas, including the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals court, that the individual mandate was unlawful. The appeals court did not say whether the rest of the Affordable Care Act would also have to be struck down.Arguments, which were scheduled to last for 80 minutes, began at 10 a.m. ET and were continuing around 12 p.m. ET.A decision is expected toward the end of June.The case is known as California v. Texas, No. 19-840.This is breaking news. Check back for updates. – Advertisement – A demonstrator holds a sign in front of the US Supreme Court in Washington, DC, on November 10, 2020, as the high court opened arguments in the long-brewing case over the constitutionality of the 2010 Affordable Care Act, under which then-president Barack Obama’s government sought to extend health insurance to people who could not afford it.Nicholas Kamm | AFP | Getty Images The Affordable Care Act seems likely to withstand its third challenge at the Supreme Court.Several of the court’s conservatives on Tuesday expressed an unwillingness to strike down the landmark legislation during oral arguments in a case brought by red states seeking to eliminate the law.Chief Justice John Roberts, who cast the key vote in 2012 upholding Obamacare, and Justice Brett Kavanaugh, an appointee of President Donald Trump, both suggested that the court may cast aside a challenged provision of the law, known as the individual mandate, while leaving the rest of it standing.- Advertisement – The individual mandate provision, as enacted in 2010, requires most Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a penalty. The GOP-controlled Congress reduced the penalty to $0 in 2017.The Supreme Court upheld the mandate in 2012 under Congress’s taxing power, but Texas and other Republican-led states argued that the reduction of the penalty made that justification no longer workable, and as a result the whole Affordable Care Act must be struck down. The Trump administration, via the Department of Justice, argued in favor of the red states’ challenge.Health-care activists warned that if the Supreme Court struck down the Affordable Care Act, more than 20 million people could lose their insurance. The dispute, which was argued in the shadow of last week’s presidential election, was a central focus of Democrats during the confirmation hearings for Justice Amy Coney Barrett last month.- Advertisement –
By Duro Ikhazuagbe in Lagos and Olawale Ajimotokanin AbujaThe Super Falcons bonus faceoff was resolved yesterday after the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation mandated the Central Bank of Nigeria to authorise the payment of naira equivalent of US$1,173,820.00 at N305/$ to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to cover the outstanding winning bonuses for the Super Falcons’ participation at the Africa Women’s Nations Cup in Cameroon earlier this month.The Super Eagles will also benefit from the windfall as their bonuses for the 2018 World Cup qualifier against Algeria in Uyo were redeemed. A statement Friday by Director of Information in the office, Kenechukwu Offie, said the development was in furtherance of the approval from Minister of Finance for the said amount to be paid.“The mandate which is a sum of Three hundred and Fifty-Eight Million, fifteen thousand, One Hundred naira only has been paid by Central bank of Nigeria as at yesterday 15th December, 2016.“Similarly, another mandate for the sum of One hundred and Thirteen million, Eight Hundred and Twenty thousand, Six Hundred and Two naira only has also been released by Office of Accountant General of the Federation for the payment of wining bonus for Super Eagles in the 2018 World Cup Qualifying matches; and for the Super Falcons participation in the 10th Women’s Africa Nation’s Cup.“This amount has also been paid to Nigeria Football Federation and is equally sequel to the approval of the Honourable minister of Finance.”Miss Ruth David, the Head of Women’s Football at NFF told thenff.com last night that federation had received the money from government and would reimburse the players and officials their entitlements.“The bank accounts of the players and officials are being credited as we speak. They will all receive credit alerts of the monies due to them, as released by the Government, before the end of the day,” David, said.The unpaid bonuses and allowances degenerated to a messy point that the Super Falcons on Wednesday embarked on a street protest in Abuja and were only palliated by the Chief of Staff to the President Abba Kyari, who assured that the money would be paid today.In the heat of the moment, the players declined to vacate the Agura Hotel, where they were lodged since they returned from Cameroon and had defiantly declined to hand over the Nations Cup trophy to NFF. A statement issued by NFF Spokesman Ademola Olajire gave a breakdown of the amount received by each member of the Super Falcons and their officials.It showed that each player got the sum of N5,494,500, less the sum of N600,000 that was earlier paid to each of the players at various times by the NFF. The amount is at the rate of $17,900 (converted to naira at the official rate of N305 to $1), plus the sum of N15,000 camp allowance and N20,000 transport allowance. All the monies were converted at the official rate of N305 to $1. Head Coach Florence Omagbemi got a total of N11,014,000 (less the sum of N800,000 paid to her earlier), while assistant coaches Ann Chiejine, Perpetua Nkwocha and Bala Mohammed, as well as the backroom staff were N8,274,250 richer, less the N500,000 earlier paid to each of them.The equipment manager got a total of N4,114,625, less the N500,000 earlier paid to her.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Published on April 8, 2013 at 1:26 am Contact David: email@example.com | @DBWilson2 Syracuse’s passing attack is undergoing an overhaul. With a brand-new quarterback, three new starting offensive linemen and a pair of new starting wide receivers, the days of Ryan Nassib, Marcus Sales, Alec Lemon and Justin Pugh are gone.In their place is a new-look group. Three quarterbacks vie to replace Nassib. An inexperienced group of wide receivers join Jeremiah Kobena and Jarrod West to form an all-new starting group.For stretches of the spring this group has been stagnant — on Sunday it failed to find the end zone for nearly half of practice. Other times it has flashed potential. West, Kobena and Quinta Funderburk, a highly touted transfer from Arkansas who sat out last season, all made spectacular catches and scored touchdowns.“Those guys have done a tremendous job filling in for Marcus and Alec,” quarterback John Kinder said. “I think the same as us quarterbacks, they’ll begin to grow and progress as we continue and they get more repetitions, they’ll get better and better.”West provided depth behind Sales and Lemon a year ago as the third wide receiver on the depth chart. Kobena, who has been primarily used as a kick returner in the past, missed the middle part of last season with an injury.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textKeenan Hale, Christopher Clark and Alvin Cornelius III — all seldom used a year ago —add to the depth for a unit that lacks the top threats it had last year in Lemon and Sales.“I feel like we have a real talented group, probably one of the talented groups I’ve ever played with, even playing with Alec and Marcus and how good they were,” West said. “Just the depth from the No. 1 guy to the last guy in the room is real good.”West sits atop the group, but Kobena, now a junior, has been getting the majority of the first-team reps alongside him.Kobena showed flashes of potential during his first two seasons with Syracuse. He was a fixture in the return game, averaging nearly 20 yards per kick return last season, and helped the Orange stretch the field. He hauled in just six catches, but two went for touchdowns, including a 50-yarder against Northwestern.“He gives you a lot of speed and he can make tough catches and stuff,” West said. “So when he’s healthy we’re a lot stronger group.”When the Orange came out of its break, quarterback Terrel Hunt took a sack, but learned from his mistake. Next time SU’s defense brought the blitz, the quarterback got the ball out quickly and rifled a pass to Kobena on a slant, who turned and darted to the end zone untouched.But Funderburk is the most intriguing. The sophomore began his career as a four-star wide receiver recruit at Arkansas with incredible body control and gobs of potential. After struggling to get on the field as a freshman for the Razorbacks, Funderburk transferred to Syracuse where he’s now expected to be a big-play threat for an offense that lost its top two from a year ago.“He’s a big-play receiver, I would say,” Kinder said. “He has the ability to make big plays and we’re going to take some shots with him.”Despite the lofty expectations, Funderburk has primarily worked with the second unit, behind West and Kobena. But on Sunday he made a play that turned heads.Quarterback Charley Loeb lofted a pass to the back corner of the end zone. Funderburk leaped up above the defense to snatch the ball out of the air and kept his feet in bounds for the touchdown. In one play, Funderburk showcased all the attributes that made him such an intriguing prospect — the body control, the hands, the concentration and the size.“Quinta’s done some good things; I think he’s starting to mature as a player,” head coach Scott Shafer said. “He’s got a long way to get where we want him to be, but it was nice to see him make the catch today in traffic.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
There’s also racing at Dundalk where the Irish Stallion Farms European Breeders Fund ‘Red God’ Handicap is the feature race at 4:15pm.Racing at the all-weather track in County Louth begins at 2:10pm.
Brin Sweeney caught this stunning shot of the Cross at Loughanure last night.Another amazing shot from Brid, this time of the boat known local in Magherclogher as Bad Eddie.Pauric O’Donnell took this stunning shot. Not sure where is. Answers on a postcard (actually send us an email!)STUNNING SEPTEMBER SKYLINES ABOVE DONEGAL – PIC SPECIAL was last modified: September 30th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)