– Advertisement – The court’s six conservatives seemed sympathetic to arguments made by Kyle Hawkins, the Texas Solicitor General, and acting Justice Department Solicitor General Jeffrey Wall that the individual mandate became unconstitutional when it was stripped of an accompanying penalty.But Roberts and Kavanaugh suggested that would not doom the rest of the law.“I think it’s hard for you to argue that Congress intended the entire act to fall if the mandate was struck down,” Roberts told Hawkins. Roberts was appointed by President George W. Bush.Roberts acknowledged that some Republican lawmakers may have wanted the Supreme Court to strike down the law, “but that’s not our job.”Kavanaugh told Donald Verrilli, who was solicitor general under former President Barack Obama, that “I tend to agree with you that this is a very straightforward case” and that under the court’s precedents “we would excise the mandate and leave the rest of the act in place.”Later, Kavanaugh told Hawkins that it “sure seems” like Congress in 2017 wanted to lower the individual mandate penalty without getting rid of the Affordable Care Act’s other provisions, such as its protections for those with preexisting conditions.The court’s three liberals, Justice Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan are expected to side with California and a coalition of other Democratic-led states that are defending Obamacare. It takes five votes to gain a majority on the nine-judge panel.Two lower courts sided with Texas, including the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals court, that the individual mandate was unlawful. The appeals court did not say whether the rest of the Affordable Care Act would also have to be struck down.Arguments, which were scheduled to last for 80 minutes, began at 10 a.m. ET and were continuing around 12 p.m. ET.A decision is expected toward the end of June.The case is known as California v. Texas, No. 19-840.This is breaking news. Check back for updates. – Advertisement – A demonstrator holds a sign in front of the US Supreme Court in Washington, DC, on November 10, 2020, as the high court opened arguments in the long-brewing case over the constitutionality of the 2010 Affordable Care Act, under which then-president Barack Obama’s government sought to extend health insurance to people who could not afford it.Nicholas Kamm | AFP | Getty Images The Affordable Care Act seems likely to withstand its third challenge at the Supreme Court.Several of the court’s conservatives on Tuesday expressed an unwillingness to strike down the landmark legislation during oral arguments in a case brought by red states seeking to eliminate the law.Chief Justice John Roberts, who cast the key vote in 2012 upholding Obamacare, and Justice Brett Kavanaugh, an appointee of President Donald Trump, both suggested that the court may cast aside a challenged provision of the law, known as the individual mandate, while leaving the rest of it standing.- Advertisement – The individual mandate provision, as enacted in 2010, requires most Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a penalty. The GOP-controlled Congress reduced the penalty to $0 in 2017.The Supreme Court upheld the mandate in 2012 under Congress’s taxing power, but Texas and other Republican-led states argued that the reduction of the penalty made that justification no longer workable, and as a result the whole Affordable Care Act must be struck down. The Trump administration, via the Department of Justice, argued in favor of the red states’ challenge.Health-care activists warned that if the Supreme Court struck down the Affordable Care Act, more than 20 million people could lose their insurance. The dispute, which was argued in the shadow of last week’s presidential election, was a central focus of Democrats during the confirmation hearings for Justice Amy Coney Barrett last month.- Advertisement –
Meanwhile, Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran, head of the City Inter-Agency Task Force COVID-19 appealed to the Deped to consider online learning in case they want to open the classes. BACOLOD City – Citing safety and health concerns of students and school personnel amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak, local officials in this capital city and in Negros Occidental seek to postpone the opening of the school year slated in August. Yesterday, the city council passed a resolution urging the Department of Education (DepEd) through its chief Secretary Leonor Briones to defer the opening of classes of schools under its jurisdiction beyond the scheduled date. He further added everyone should always practice caution and play it safe in order to avoid contracting the virus. Councilor Renecito Novero, author of the resolution, said DepEd should avoid classes which practice face-to-face scheme of instruction until the threat of COVID-19 considerably subsides. The proposal also included the end of the school year on April 30, 2021, along with the cancellation of the Palarong Pambansa and Schools Press Conference./PN Based on the DepEd’s proposal, school year 2020-2021 was supposed to begin on Aug. 24. Classes may be conducted both physically and virtually depending on the situation of the COVID-19 pandemic. In a press conference on Wednesday morning, Lacson said he would prefer that the opening of classes be postponed for at least a year until a vaccine or cure against the coronavirus disease or Covid-19 is widely available. BY MAE SINGUAY and DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGA “Better be safe than sorry,” Familiaran stressed. “For me, one year of rest is not so bad. At least, it is safer by then, hopefully there is already a vaccine and cure,” Lacson said. For his part, Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson, said he is against DepEd’s move to resume classes in August this year.
Pittsburgh’s Tyler Boyd answers a question during a news conference at the Atlantic Coast Conference Football kickoff in Greensboro, N.C., Sunday, July 20, 2014. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) – It’s been a while since the Atlantic Coast Conference entered a season with this much buzz.The realigned league has the defending national champion, a Heisman Trophy winner and a national coach of the year.The ACC stumbled through much of the BCS era, but enters the first year of the four-team college football playoff with a secure future among the power-five conferences and boasts a favorite to contend for another title in Florida State.“I think we’ve got as good a shot as anybody to be in the top four the first year,” commissioner John Swofford said Sunday, the first of the league’s two-day preseason kickoff event.“We will have teams in the mix to be in the four-team playoff every year, and any time we don’t have one, we’ll be disappointed.”At least on paper, that sure looks like the Seminoles.The defending BCS champions are trying to keep themselves at a high level. The rest of the league is hoping to piggyback off Florida State’s success, hopeful that the Seminoles’ rising tide will lift the league’s other 13 boats.“Anybody can shock this ACC … and that’s what impresses me,” North Carolina quarterback Marquise Williams said. “Everybody’s going to come to compete this year – everybody feels like they have a lot of energy and a lot of confidence since Florida State won the national championship. That builds a lot of conference teams’ hype and getting more swag.”The ACC won a total of two BCS games from 1998-2011 before combining to win three in the past two years.Two of them belong to the Seminoles, who captured the final BCS championship back in January when Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston led a touchdown drive in the final seconds to beat Auburn.Boston College defensive back Dominique Williams called it “a good look for the ACC” and Winston began his hour-long sit-down session with reporters by asking them to clap.“How does it feel to have an ACC team come in here with a national championship?” Winston asked. “Can we get us, the ACC, a round of applause? Finally. We took it away from the SEC, man. It’s a blessing.”That wasn’t all. Duke’s David Cutcliffe earned a handful of national coach of the year awards after guiding the Blue Devils to a school-record 10 wins and a most unlikely Coastal Division title.And the ACC boasted more than a few individual award winners: Walter Camp and Davey O’Brien (Winston), Doak Walker (Boston College’s Andre Williams), Outland and Lombardi (Pittsburgh’s Aaron Donald) and Lou Groza (Roberto Aguayo, Florida State).But that’s in the past. Now it’s almost time to find out who can get it done this year.Will it be league newcomer Louisville, the 2013 national champion in men’s basketball and replacement for Maryland that has won 23 football games in its final two years in the old Big East and American Athletic conferences?“You do good in one sport, the next sport, it’s like, ‘OK, since our school does this in one sport, we’re going to go ahead and show that we can do it too,” Cardinals defensive end Lorenzo Mauldin said. “Basketball does good, that means football season is right around the corner. Football season has a follow-up with basketball. … It’s just an ongoing change but we all want to be great at the University of Louisville.”Will it be Miami and Duke Johnson, who’s coming back from a broken ankle yet still looks like the league’s top offensive player not named Winston? Johnson rushed for 920 yards and six touchdowns before breaking his ankle in the Florida State loss.“In my heart, I feel like we have the potential to be” the Coastal’s best team, Johnson said. “But having potential and going out and doing it are two different things.”Will it be North Carolina, a perennial sleeping giant which returns 17 starters and is settling into third-year coach Larry Fedora’s up-tempo offense?Or will it be a surprise – just like Duke last year?“It’s all wide open,” Williams said of the league’s Coastal Division – the one without Florida State.If nothing else, the Seminoles have given the rest of the league something to shoot for – and, for the ones that have them on the conference’s eight-game schedule, a chance at a season-making victory.“You may say this is being too optimistic, but if and when we beat them this year, that’s really going to have a lot of positive attention on us,” Wake Forest fullback Jordan Garside said.___Follow Joedy McCreary on Twitter at http://twitter.com/joedyap
The Nelson Skating Club is inviting the public to its annual year-end show, Stars of the Galaxy, set for Saturday, May 6th in the Nelson and District Community Complex Arena.Show time is 1:30 p.m. with the event featuring skaters from the CanSkate, Junior Academy and StarSkate programs. The cost is $5 per adult and $2 for seniors and children under 12. During the Stars of the Galaxy the Nelson Skating Club is raffling off return flight tickets to Vancouver donated by Pacific Coastal.