The organization recommended that the public wash their hands properly by using clean running water and soap, or alcohol-based hand rub, and avoid close contact with any individual with a fever or cough.Paranietharan said children were not known to exhibit COVID-19 symptoms.“Risk of severe disease is high for those over 60 years old and those with pre-existing conditions such as diabetes and heart disease,” Paranietharan said.Monday’s announcement added Indonesia to the list of coronavirus-hit countries after the archipelago claimed there were zero cases for almost two months since the virus first emerged from Wuhan in late December.Many residents of the nation’s capital reportedly responded to the announcement by frantically stocking up on supplies, most notably face masks and hand sanitizers, at convenience stores across the city – a phenomenon known as panic buying – amid fears of a possible coronavirus outbreak in the city.Indonesia’s previous zero cases had raised concerns from many about the detection ability in the country of more than 260 million people, especially as reports had emerged of COVID-19 cases outside Indonesia in which the patients had visited the archipelago before being declared positive in other countries.The global death toll from COVID-19 soared pass 3,000 on Monday as the virus has now infected more than 89,000 people and spread to more than 60 countries to date, AFP reported. (rfa)Topics : President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced on Monday that two Indonesians tested positive for COVID-19, the first two confirmed cases of the disease brought by the coronavirus originating from China.Jokowi said the two people, a 64-year-old and her 31-year-old daughter, both residents of Depok in West Java, had been in contact with a Japanese citizen who tested positive in Malaysia on Feb. 27 after visiting Indonesia in early February.The WHO further urged citizens to maintain a healthy lifestyle, as well as tend to their personal hygiene, to reduce possible risks of viral infection.Read also: Indonesia monitors dozens in contact with first two COVID-19 cases in Greater Jakarta The World Health Organization has called on the public in general to remain calm after Indonesia confirmed its first coronavirus cases in the country, as the UN health body raised the possibility that more cases may be detected in the near future.“We are not surprised by the announcement and we can anticipate more cases in the coming days. Early detection of cases and laboratory confirmation is critical,” WHO representative to Indonesia N. Paranietharan said in a statement on Monday.“We have been working closely with the government to prepare for this scenario. Now that it is a reality, it is important that we ensure the activities planned during preparedness are implemented quickly.”
Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, whose wife is infected with the virus, has said this is the country’s most difficult moment since its 1936-39 civil war.”Only the oldest, who knew the hardships of the civil war and its aftermath, can remember collective situations that were harsher than the current one. The other generations in Spain have never, ever had to face as a collective something so hard,” he said when he imposed the state of emergency on March 14.Spain’s demographics partly explain why it has been one of the worst-affected nations. The country has one of the longest life expectancies in Europe and the pandemic has taken a high toll on its large elderly population, who are especially vulnerable to the disease. The coronavirus death toll in Spain surged to 4,089 after 655 people died within 24 hours, the health ministry said on Thursday.It was a 19 percent increase on figures released Wednesday by the authorities in Spain, which has the world’s second highest death toll from the disease after Italy.The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 rose to 56,188, the ministry said. Topics : Despite a national lockdown imposed on March 14, which parliament on Thursday agreed to extend until April 11, both deaths and infections have continued to mount, with officials warning this week would be particularly bad. But the rise in the number of new deaths was smaller than that recorded on Wednesday when the figure rose by 738 or 27 percent.Health authorities are hoping it will soon become clear whether the lockdown is having the desired effect.The Madrid region has suffered the brunt of the epidemic with 17,166 infections — just under a third of the total — and 2,090 deaths, or 51 percent of the national figure.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisAlpena, Mich. — District Health Department #4 announced that a child in Alpena County has died from the flu.This is the second flu–related fatality in Michigan this season. The first death was reported in Osceola County in December. District Health Department #4 is urging everyone 6 months of age and older to get vaccinated. Last year, only 39 percent of Michiganders got the vaccine. The respiratory disease is contagious and caused by different strains of the influenza virus.“Flu vaccination is the best way to prevent against getting the flu and can also reduce the severity of flu illness,” said DHD4 Medical Director Dr. Joshua Meyerson in a press release.Vaccines are extremely important for children, adults 65 years and older, pregnant women, and any person with medical conditions.According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, last year’s flu season was estimated to be the deadliest since 2009’s H1N1 pandemic.To receive a flu shot, call the district health department at 1-800-221-0294. You can also contact your health care provider or local pharmacy.No further information was provided on the child.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: alpena county, district health department #4, Flu, Flu Shot, H1N1, Illness, Influenza, vaccineContinue ReadingPrevious Photo of the Day for Monday, January 28Next Sanctuary employees happy to return to work after government shutdown