On 17 January, Brazilian Army helicopters sped up the tasks of rescue and bringing in supplies in areas impacted by the landslides and floods that have left at least 655 dead and contacted people who had been isolated for several days. A helicopter rescued five people in the morning, the Air Force said in a statement, due to the fact that improved weather conditions allowed the aircraft to fly more easily over the most affected areas, located around one hundred kilometers north of Río de Janeiro. Hundreds of people are believed to still be in areas at risk of new landslides, some of them isolated by washed-out roads and bridges, while others are refusing to leave for fear that their homes might be looted. The Army is operating four helicopters from an improvised base at the Brazilian national soccer team’s training field in Teresópolis. Heavy rains led to one of the worst natural disasters in Brazil’s history during the second week in January, when an avalanche of mud, water, and rocks leveled towns and villages in the picturesque region. The poorest residents, who lived in precarious homes, suffered the worst of the tragedy. The death toll has continually risen as rescue workers have dug more bodies out from under the mud and debris. The authorities have not issued an official estimate of the number of missing, but the local newspaper Folha de São Paulo said Monday that 120 people had not been found. Some residents have complained about what they characterize as a slow response by the authorities in sending basic supplies to isolated communities and helping those affected to dig out their deceased relatives and friends. “We want to go. We have no news, we don’t know whether our relatives have died,” Paulo da Silva, one of forty residents of an isolated area, told Folha de São Paulo. On 16 January, a new landslide near Petrópolis left three people dead, the local press reported, making evident the risks inherent in the forecasts of more rain for the region in coming days. By Dialogo January 19, 2011
The Olympic-style military competition tests the skills that the Special Forces from each competing Army practice daily in the fight against terrorist groups and transnational criminal organizations. The country teams met the challenges of “the bothersome climate, the nature of the infrastructure, and the obstacle course, which is one of the most difficult ones to negotiate in a competition,” Lieutenant Colonel Martínez said. Bolstering regional cooperation “The winning team does not win a cash prize or anything like that. It goes beyond a purely monetary award. The trophy that the champions receive represents the efforts they made during the week in a competition that perfects their abilities to fight terrorism.” The Special Forces competition, which features six service members and an alternate from each participating military in each team, is designed to increase regional and multinational cooperation, mutual trust, improved training, readiness, and interoperability among the region’s Special Forces. “They are not simply teams for a competition, but operational units that have selected the competitors for this event from amongst their personnel,” said Lieutenant Colonel Ángel Martínez, exercise and training director for SOCSOUTH. It was Colombia’s seventh victory in the event, which was sponsored by the United States Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) and executed by the U.S. Special Operations Command South (SOCSOUTH). The country’s team had won four straight championships from 2005-2008. This year, it defeated 18 teams from the Americas and Europe during the competition at the headquarters for the Brigadier General Pablo Nuila Hub of the Kaibil Special Forces Brigade in the northern municipality of Poptún, which is 377 kilometers north of Guatemala City. Jacobo De León Argueta, commanding officer for the Pablo Nuila Hub of the Kaibil Special Forces Brigade, expressed his satisfaction at having organized this activity “at the home of the Kaibiles in Guatemala, one of the more important elite forces in Latin America.” Peru is scheduled to host the event in 2016, though no date has been determined. “This event has brought together teams of elite army units from the Americas. It has been physically and technically demanding.” “The goal of this competition is for each team to demonstrate their abilities in special operations and tactical operations, as well as the techniques and procedures to be followed in the war on terror,” the Guatemalan Army reported. By Dialogo July 28, 2015 My congratulations to the Guatemalan Army, to the first three places, and particularly to the rest of the teams that participated. It was important to compete in this event because what was shared, learned and what each country contributed to the event was very significant. Peace be with all of you in the Latin American and United States Military Forces.Each one of the young military members who participated has improved his/her level of military service and his/her character and convictions.Respectfully. I would like this competition to be held in southern Chile, too. I assure you that the first four places would change completely. Infantry 1st Lieutenant Gener Pelicó, who led Guatemala’s team, was “impressed by the competitors’ skill levels, above all, because they tested themselves physically, technically, and mentally.” The events “bring together the countries of the Americas and forges new, friendly relations,” said Haiti SWAT team leader Gordon Davis, whose team participated for the first time. Since 1975, more than 1,000 service members have graduated from the eight-week Kaibil International training course. Kaibil Commandos have served in United Nations peacekeeping missions in Liberia, Congo, Haiti, Nepal and the Ivory Coast. The unit’s name comes from Kaibil Balam, a respected prince and warrior of the Guatemalan ethnic group, Mam. A competitive field “We are proud to be part of this force, because discipline and honor are vital to defending this nation from any terrorist threat,” Kaibil Captain Oscar Alonzo said. “Through this activity, we have shown the other nations how experienced we are in tactics and special forces operations.” Colombia recently earned its third straight Fuerzas Comando title, winning the annual military special operations skills competition testing endurance, ability, marksmanship, and aquatic skills held this year in Guatemala from July 15-23. The United States placed second overall, while El Salvador, Guatemala, and Chile rounded out the top five. Honduras won the Sniper Team category, with Jamaica placing first in the Assault Team event. Argentina, Belize, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Guyana, Panama, Peru, Paraguay, Uruguay, Mexico, Haiti, and Spain also competed in the searing heat that averaged 38 degrees Celsius with high humidity. “This experience has left a good taste in my mouth. Competing with service members from the Southern Hemisphere is very important.” Guatemala, which finished first in the Combined Team/Physical Fitness category, had officers from the National Army who received training used by the Kaibiles — a special operations force that conducts counter-terrorism and intelligence gathering missions.
By Brian Homewood(REUTERS) – The world athletics championships have been moved back 11 months to July 2022 to avoid clashing with Tokyo Olympics, which was also postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, the sport’s governing body said yesterday.World Athletics confirmed in a statement here that the event, which is usually held every two years, would now take place from July 15 to 24 in 2022 in Eugene, Oregon.The original dates of August 6-15 2021 would have clashed with the Tokyo Olympics, which was last month postponed by a year from the original July-August 2020 schedule. The new dates for the worlds were chosen to avoid clashing with the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, England, from July 27 to August 7, and the European Athletics Championships in Munich, from August 15 to 21.World Athletics said these dates would enable athletes to compete in all three events, where eligible.“The new schedule will prevent a direct conflict between any of these major events and, with careful programming, will ensure athletes can compete in up to three world-class competitions,” said World Athletics in a statement. World Athletics president Sebastian Coe said that having the three events run consecutively over the course of a single summer would be “a bonanza for athletics fans around the world”.“They will be treated to six weeks of absolutely first-class athletics,” said Coe.“We would not have chosen to have three major championships back-to-back but it will give us a unique opportunity to promote our sport and its stars around the globe over a six-week period.” The previous world championships were held in Doha last year and the 2023 edition will take place in Budapest.European Athletics said in a statement that the new dates had its “full support”.It added that this year’s European athletics championships, due to be staged in Paris in late August, were “currently under evaluation.”The local organising committee has been asked to carry out a feasibility study of the event “with input from the relevant national authority bodies, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic”, it said.
Share Björn Nilsson: How Triggy is delivering digestible data through pre-set triggers August 28, 2020 Submit Sportradar combats social media abuse with player protection solution August 17, 2020 Related Articles StumbleUpon Share David Lampitt, Sportradar: F1 presents betting’s most sizeable opportunity August 14, 2020 Sportradar has been named the Official and Exclusive Data Partner to Badminton Europe (BEC) for all competitions after signing a comprehensive agreement with the governing body.The multi-year agreement will increase Sportradar’s scope of work with the governing body and adds to the betting and broadcast partnership that has been in place since 2015.Under the terms of the agreement, Sportrar will supply betting operators and media platforms around the world with data from more than 35 BEC tournaments each year. This includes the European Championships, European Men’s & Women’s Team Championships and European Mixed Team Championship in addition to elite circuit events such as the International Challenge and International Series.Lutz Tigges, Senior Director at Sportradar, said: “We value the success we’ve had working alongside Badminton Europe these past few years and the trustful partnership we’ve developed. Together we grew technical and commercial standards including the global reach of Badminton events.“Now, we’re excited to be supporting them as they utilize our broad range of products and services to grow the profile of their sport around the world and work towards their long term commercial goals.”Sportradar will also work alongside BEC to boost awareness of its tournaments across core markets including Asia and Europe, as well as in new and emerging territories.In addition, Sportradar will use its OTT platform to cover match action and editorial content, with coverage from the main events due to be shown on Badmintoneurope.tv. The platform will also feature on demand match content from previous competition draws, webinars and podcasts.Brian Agerbak, General Secretary at Badminton Europe, said: “The extended partnership with Sportradar to include an OTT platform, a new website and a Federation Data Toolkit will strengthen our digital footprint.“It is an important strategic target for us to grow our digital followers and allow them access to our digital services through a single sign on process. Furthermore, growing our media exposure and increasing global visibility for our products are key components for us.“We have been very satisfied with the cooperation with Sportradar in the previous years and we are excited to further develop our profile with such a strong partner by our side.”